Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Inspired!!








Today, I taught an acrylic transfer workshop to an undergrad student. We spent a great deal of time talking and she's turned me on to the idea of encaustics. The encaustic painting process consists of beeswax, resin and pigment. When I feel the illuminated book is complete, I want to go back to creating pieces similar to the Self Works on Paper series but thought of doing them large scale. Although, I am told, encaustic painting is not great to do in large scale, I can use ink jet prints (but not to transfer them), text, even objects! I may yet depart a little further into doing small, intimate pieces using handwritten text with my images. The student is going to teach me the process. It's amazing how artist converge and meet at different times, and sharing similiar sensibilities.

In the meantime, back I go to the illuminated pages. I have 10 complete and would like to make it a goal to have 10 more before March when I embark on Houston's FotoFest 2008. For those of you that don't know what it is, it's a fine art photography meeting place where curators and gallery owners from all over the world come and look at work. They offer feedback and sometimes exhibition opportunities. it costs a lot of money but I figure I'll do it this once, fro the experience, and see what happens. It is, in fact, an investment, isn't it?

In the meantime, I will post a couple of photos from a reception 2 weeks ago. Images from the Self Works series behind me. There is also a reception Thursday night at the Hillwood Museum of some of my older work. The Museum is located on the Long Island University CW Post campus in Brookville, NY and it's from 5-8pm. Hope to see some of you there :)
Post a Comment