Monday, March 17, 2008

Houston Fotofest 2008

Got back on Saturday from my first run at Houston Fotofest. I will say it was an interesting experience. For those of you that don't know what it is, it is one of 2 or 3 fine art photography events in the US right now. Mainly, it is an intensive portfolio review with curators, galleries, publishers and collectors from around the world.I recommend an artist interested in going to already be an exhibiting, mature artist needing this as the next step in the promotion aspect. I met a 21 year old who clearly needed to work at it for a few years before attempting something like this.

Anyway, I got such a wide array of opinions on my work, it really will take time to let the dust settle and figure out what is the next step. However, the good news is that I landed an exhibition in Amsterdam - probably in the next year, and possibly one in England again. That would be great, because it will then be my 3rd exhibit in the UK. The woman from the Amsterdam gallery was so excited and passionate about my black and whites, she could barely contain herself. After she gushed on how wonderfully romantic they are, she said, " Oh! You have made my day with these!" I asked her if I could bring her home with me. :D

In addition to the actual event, I met some amazing artists, and became part of a great group of people that were not only talented, but provided to be such a good support system. It is definitely needed in this context as everyone is there for the same reason.

There are other events like this, as I stated. There is Photo Lucida in Portland, OR and next year is the next one, which I am considering doing. There are 2 in Europe, Rhubarb, Rhubarb in the UK and Recontres d'Arles in France, which I believe are held during the same month, so if I ever get the money to go there, it would be worth it - 2 for the price of one.

In the meantime, I will post some pics here of the Houston trip and will need time to rethink the illuminated manuscript pieces. I certainly didn't get the response I thought I would, and there was a general consensus that the imagery was stronger that the supporting text/artwork. Lots to think about....





Post a Comment