Monday, January 12, 2009

My statement on Rabbitholes and Revelations

January 2009
Rabbitholes and Revelations
artist statement by AnnMarie Tornabene

In the last two to three years, I’ve had a number of profound changes occur in my life. Getting married is among these changes, and with that came about a multitude of emotional and psychological discoveries. There has been a fear of losing my identity; self-doubt was surrounding my every move and I started making poor decisions. Fairly rapidly, I felt like I was falling into a deep hole. I needed to get out, so I decided to take time to reflect and try to learn why these things were happening. I took a trip back to my childhood and started a quest to seek out what has happened, what I had and did not have, and what I wanted.

The “Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland” story is a theme that many artists have adapted in their work. As I saw where I was, I, too, made a connection to Alice and that proverbial “rabbit hole.” The story’s inspiration took form into some of my most fantastic and romantic tableaux so far. Since those elements are not unfamiliar to my work, creating this fairy tale imagery was intuitive. I see this series as an abridged version of my life’s journey thus far, with a door open to the next chapter full of new revelations.
Post a Comment