Saturday, July 11, 2009

Self-Portraits

With this project I am working on, an assistant is pretty much mandatory. Since I am working with a low-tech camera, there is no auto advance. In addition, the places I am shooting at are not exactly danger-free. It's been a challenge finding someone to help me between day availability and type of person assisting. For me, my assistant needs to be neutral in opinion of content for the most part. I do take some suggestions but for the most part, I just need the technical aspect dealt with. At the risk of sounding sexist, I prefer a male assistant for that safety factor. Someone with a sense of humor and a sense of adventure helps as well. I've tried getting local students but most have been flaky. My husband assists me when possible but that forces me into a one-day-a-week shoot. Right now, I am eager to re-shoot an idea. I have the time but he nor anyone else does.

On a good note, this project is going fairly smoothly even if the progress is a bit slow for me. If I haven't written about it yet, I plan to create a book through Blurb.com. Originally, I was only going to make one of the Rabbitholes and Revelations series, but thought about the cost of the book and decided to make the book of a collection of images that work together from the outdoor nudes, to some of the art history images, rabbitholes and then the new stuff. Perhaps by the Fall, I will have it put together and published.

Now to just get back out there shooting.....
Post a Comment