Monday, October 19, 2009

Childhood memories of cameras

I was on Facebook earlier and ICP (International Center of Photography) asked of its members "what was your first camera?" I wrote that when I was about 10 years old, I used a Kodak 110 camera and remember getting film for it at the local film shop. I remember complaining then how small the negatives were. I also remember a Polaroid at that time and then somewhere down the line I had a 35mm plastic camera with a manual rewind. I remember that rewind well because I couldn't figure out what direction I had to wind it and so, again, I asked the local film shop for help - which direction to rotate the crank and was frustrated with it.

In the 7th grade, I took my first photography course. I was terrified and intimidated of the twin-lens reflex that we used (I think it was a Yashica) and worse - the analog light meter that, to this day, I could never understand (Thank goodness for digital meters!). I remember the teacher not being much help either and after some other art and music classes, I set photography aside for awhile until I graduated high school...

But then, when I picked up my next first camera - the Pentax K2 for the first time when I was 21 years old, I was in love.
Post a Comment