Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Maryrdom

So, one of my friends was posting on his journal about martyrdom (in an amusing kind of way) the other day and it reminded me of the photos I posted here recently. No, I do not think of myself as a saint or a martyr. I was born and baptized a Catholic but don't really feel like I belong to it. In fact, I don't really have a strong belief in any religion, but I suppose aspects of Paganism might be the closest thing I can get my head around. Still, growing up in an Italian-Catholic house surrounded by many symbols, especially statues and photos has had an effect on me.

I get plagued with dreams of being judged by others all the time. I also become, at times, consumed with the question of what happens to us when we die and the concept of Heaven and Hell (again, not something I am convinced exists, but just an idea to be comforted by). I think I want to explore this in my work, even if it leads to nothing...

My aforementioned friend responded to this by saying "Make it a good heaven, one where healthy young ladies in steel brassieres come sweeping down on horseback to carry the deceased off to a celestial hall with feasting, quaffing, and wenching. It sounds much more fun than the pale milquetoast Methodist hymn-sing of Christianity."

Hmm..I just might do that!

He is so awesome :)
Post a Comment