Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Day 2

Censored? Well, of course I was! When I was invited to do this residency, they knew the type of work I do. However, because there were a couple of music lessons given to children today, in the room my work is hanging in, "they" did this to 2 of my images:




I was told that they were going to "just take them down" and I told them if they did that, I would be leaving. They thought I was joking. I moved the paper up to where the tape was at least on the wall, not the plexiglas I paid a lot of money for. The lessons are now over and I promptly removed the paper. Let's hope these children never go into the gallery or come to my talk Saturday night.

In lighter news, I did something crazy and amazing today. Meet Simon:



Simon is an Irish Spot Horse - apparently one of the tallest horses bred. I posed on top of him in my flowy white dress!! Yes - me - who never got on any horse ever. The owner was present, holding his reins as well as I (I will, of course have to Photoshop her out) and I had this wonderful woman Tara - the media coordinator at the arts council who brought me to this horse farm to begin with - was able to click the shutter on my Holga.

It was unbelievable!!!! I was scared and exhilarated all at once! It made all of my frustrations vanish, even if just for a short time. Simon was actually pretty calm but when I first got on him, he was a bit jittery, wanting to take off. My leg and butt muscles are feeling it now. I am really looking forward to developing that film.

Tara said to me, after we got into the car heading back here that I was so brave to get onto a horse for the first time ever and to pose, sans eyeglasses, too. I don't know if I can call it being brave or being crazy but I am so glad I did it.

And I think I made a friend in Tara.....so all is not lost.

Tomorrow, another zany day during this residency. I was invited to have lunch with the whole staff. I thought that was nice....
Post a Comment