Friday, July 25, 2014

Last Day in the UK

Today is my last day here as I embark to France in the morning. Since I had such a short time, I've had very early, very long days to get in as much as I could. Long meaning an average of 18-20 hour days. I finally slept in this morning and got almost a full 8 hours of sleep.

Last post was about Monday and Tuesday so on Wednesday, my friend and photo assistant Neil took me to Chester where there was another section of ruins. I shot a bit, though compared to Lilieshall, there is no contest in which area was better. Still, I didn't want any ruin go unturned (ha ha). Afterward, we met up with a couple of friends and had some fun in a "posh looking pub" in Manchester - this part we were in definitely reminded me of Manhattan, or moreso Chicago.

Yesterday, I met up with one of my kindred spirits, Louise. As believers in fairies, she and I met a long time ago on an enchanted website and even from online, I felt this warm vibe from her. She is more like that in person. Her smile is radiant and warms up even the coldest of people. We met in Chester and took the train to the Lady Lever House and Walker Art museums respectively. Port Sunlight is a town I'm meant to live in, by the way!

Louise assisted me in the museum performance  pieces (recreating the Pre-Raphaelite works). And ohhhh, what artwork I've seen! In Lady Lever was a special exhibit of Rossetti's "obsession" with Jane Morris and I also finally saw original paintings of Burne-Jones, and even a Waterhouse! I was in heaven! Walker had some of the most amazing sculptures. Where angels dominate many US museums, fairies do here...of course. The two museums alone were so worth this trip!

Today, I had my second photo session with Tyler, my friend's son. I don't have children, and I don't think I've ever spent sufficient time with 9 year olds, but i will say that this boy is something special, something I can't put into words. He's not a typical 9 year old, I can say that. We went outside and before I had a chance to think of poses, he just started doing the most amazing things. He pulled a dandelion and began to blow on it, he climbed behind a bush and showed his face through, he ran into the center of this shady area and turned to look at me. It's as if I didn't have to direct him at all, and when I did, the images lacked...however, the only time I really needed to do so, though, was when I was in my angel costume and needed him by my side. Still, there was little I needed to say and when I did, he did it exactly as I envisioned.

The same feeling came over me today when I shot him as it did on Tuesday. There was something else that allowed me to connect with him on this photographic level that I can only think of as magic.

And when I asked if I could get a hug as one last shot, he gave a firm "no, we are done" and walked off with his hands in his pocket....so, ok, maybe he's a little typical of a 9 year old boy :)

As I said before, photos will follow. At the moment, I don't have a way to up/download any. My apologies!
Post a Comment