Monday, October 26, 2015

Inspiration, perhaps

Last week, I went to the Musée D'Orsay to see two exhibits - "Splendour and Misery" and "Who's Afraid of Women Photographers?" The first, was a huge exhibit dedicated to the subject of prostitution in the late 1800s. The statements on the wall spoke about the women and men that made this their profession, their practices, the legal and illegal ones, etc. While some of that was fascinating, the artwork was nothing short of phenomenal! I got to see, in person, some of the most famous pieces that I have only seen in art history books and for those of you that may not realize, there is nothing, NOTHING like seeing a piece in person; to see the brushstrokes, the colors (that are rarely reproduced well) and to just take it all in as the piece of art it was intended to be. Toulouse-Latrec, Degas, Van Gogh, only to name a few were on display. I was floored.

Interestingly - well maybe not because symbolism has always grabbed me - this piece inspired me with something I am working on now entitled "Elle" by Gustav-Adolphe Mossa, an artist I am not familiar with:



I suppose the illustrative quality is also something that always catches my eye. Still, I am trying to get my style to change to something not so obvious. Not sure my mind can pull that off though. When one pushes too much, the work becomes forced, and in the end, not good. However, the symbols in this piece speak to me in a way that I may be able to do something with....We shall see.

The second exhibit of women photographers was a little anti-climatic for me. It showed the history of how women made it into a male-dominated field, which I do feel is very important and the auto-portrait themed room was my favorite, naturally, but overall, I think straight photography is making me yawn...a lot....these days. Very little is grabbing me emotionally and well, I can go on and on about how the internet has made photographs to saturate into your mind that everything begins to look the same. I won't need to write about that, in my opinion. It's too tiring. ;) Here is the auto-portrait "Cat and I" by Wanda Wulz

OK back to thinking about my new series....and thinking...and thinking!
Post a Comment